2013 Student Art Hop: Call For Art
Entry Submission Deadline: October 18, 2013
The 2013 Art Hop Student Competition is a juried art exhibit, organized by Georgetown Art Works. Georgetown Art Works is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the arts in the City of Georgetown, Texas.
The 2013 Art Hop Student Competition is open to any student currently enrolled in High School (2013 – 2014 School Year), any Home Schooled Student or any 2013 High School graduate. The competition is only open to Texas Residents.
The 2013 Art Hop Student Exhibition will be held at the Georgetown Art Center and the Williamson Museum, in the historic district of Georgetown from November 15, 2013 through December 1, 2013.
All selected film shorts will be screened at the City Lights Theater in Georgetown, TX. Date and time are still being finalized.
- 2D – includes painting, watercolor, encaustic, acrylic, oil, mixed media, digital art, collage, gouache, ink, graphite pastel printmaking, etc…
- 3D – ceramics, glass, wood and sculpture
- Photography – any photographic medium
- Film – shorts up to 10 minutes in length – narrative, documentary, animation, etc..
Best in Show awarded $750 ($250 in cash +a $250 Jerry’s Artarama Prize +a $250 Ampersand gift certificate)
Individual Category Prizes:
- First Place – $300 (Cash + Prizes)
- Second Place – $250 (Cash + Prizes)
- Third Place – $100 (Cash + Prizes)
2013 Student Art Hop Calendar
- October 18: Entries are due. All mailed in entries must be received by this date.
- October 26: Art Hop Participants will be announced
- November 8: Shipped participant artwork is due
- November 9: Hand delivered participant artwork is due at Georgetown Art Center
- November 15: 2013 Student Art Hop Exhibit begins
- November 17, 2013: Artist Reception & Awards Ceremony
- December 1: 2013 Art Hop Exhibit closes
- December 2: Artwork pick up at the Georgetown Art Center
- December 3: Returned mailing of shipped artwork begins.
- 2D: Victoria Star Varner, M.F.A. – Professor of Art at Southwestern University
- 3D: Jean Laman, M.F.A. – Professor at Texas state University at San Marcos
- Photography: Laura Spector, Chadwick & Spector
- Film: Megan Patricia Doyle – Film Maker/Sundance Channel
Submission Requirements & Procedures
Artist Eligibility: open to any student currently enrolled in High School (2013 – 2014 school year), any Home School Student or any 2013 High School graduate. The competition is only open to Texas Residents.
- 2D, 3D, and Photography – maximum of 3 pieces can be entered per artist
- $15 – one piece of artwork
- $30 – two or three pieces of artwork
- Film – maximum of 2 submissions
- $15 – one film submission
- $30 – two film submissions
Artwork Eligibility Specifications:
- All art submissions must have been completed between January 1, 2012 and October 18, 2013
- All artworks are required to be original in composition and individual expression.
- No laser photocopies artworks are allowed.
- Copying or reproducing, in nay media, a published image is plagiarism and will be disqualified.
- Images traced with the use of an overhead or opaque projector or other mechanical means are prohibited.
- Digital retouching and/or editing of completed art images are not acceptable as a representation of original art.
- 2D, Photography, Printmaking, Wall Pieces –
- Artwork should be no larger than 150 united inches (length + height).
- If the artwork is framed, the frame must be included in the measurement.
- Each piece must be properly wrapped if shipped and ready to hang with suitable wire. No saw tooth hangers or string, please.
- Artwork must have a professional presentation.
- All student entries must be matted or mounted with white or black mats/mounts (textiles, canvas paintings, and shaped canvases do not require mats). We will also accept framed entries.
- No glass coverings or acetate will be accepted
- All artwork that is delicate or fragile, relief, or has protruding hangers must be in a box to protect the artwork
- 3D, Ceramics, Glass, Wood and Sculptures – 3D floor pieces may not exceed 5ft in any direction. Assembled work may not exceed 50 lbs in weight.
Film Shorts Eligibility Specifications:
- The length of all submissions must be 10 minutes or less, including credits.
- All films must be in English or subtitles in English.
- Dialogue lists are not accepted.
- Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the competition and to use all music, images and content in entry.
- Films that are mailed, must be submitted on DVD.
- All films must have been completed between January 1, 2012 and October 18, 2013
How to Submit Your Artwork Entries
Artwork Entry Submission Requirements:
- Art images must be cropped and exclude any frames or mats
- Images must accurately represent the original art
- JPEG (.jpg) files only
- Each file must be less than 1200 pixels on the longest side
- The file size can not exceed 10 MB
Our Preference: Online
- Upload your artwork online by October 18, 2013
- Pay entry fees through PayPal
- Mail-in entries must be received by October 18, 2013
- Entries must be submitted on a CD or DVD
- Each disc must be properly labeled with your full name, email and telephone number, in case we need to contact you with any questions
- Each image must be named with the artist’s last name and title (artistname_title.jpg)
- Film submission must on a DVD, no Blue Ray discs.
- Payments by check or money order must be included in submission
- Make checks payable to: Georgetown Art Works
- Include a completed entry form
- Please note: any discs or other materials submitted will not be returned
Mail to:Georgetown Art Works 2013 Art Hop Competition 1102 S. Austin Ave. Suite 110-118 Georgetown, Texas 78626
Terms of Entry for Entrants:
- I understand that any entries not conforming to specified guidelines will be eliminated from consideration.
- I accept that the entry fee is non-refundable.
- If selected as an 2013 Art Hop participant and/or award winner
- I agree that my work(s) will be available for exhibition during the specified dates of the 2013 Art Hop
- I grant permission to Georgetown Art Works to display my work on the Georgetown Art Works website
- I understand that I retain full rights to my art images. Georgetown Art Works will not use my art and images for any other kind of promotional work without expressed written consent
- Should an entry of mine sell during the 2013 Art Hop exhibition; I agree that Georgetown Art Works will take a 30% commission. I will receive the remaining 70%. Sales tax will be received and paid by the business exhibiting my artwork and transacting the sale of my art work.